Life From Scratch Book Tour

HI and Welcome to Book Tour  for Mel’s Book: Life From Scratch

if you don’t know Mel you should go over and meet her “Majesty.”
She’s amazing.
And you really should read this book..it’s wonderful.
I’ve shared it with  a lot of friends and they all loved it.

Plus if you want to read the answers to these or other questions from other bloggers then you can
continue to the next leg of this book tour, please visit the main list at
Write Mind Open Heart

SO now without further ado:

• Which character did you relate to the most and why? Could you see yourself in any of the characters of the book?
well yes, I related most to Rachel. The way she handled things, over analyzed things, over thought. I identified so much with the ways in which she dealt with her divorce. While I have never been divorced I have been through breakups that felt like divorces and I could identify with the feelings of “WHY” and “What Could I Have Done Differently ” in a lot of ways.
I also see myself doing this like adding a ticker and GPS on my blog to see if my ex is interested in what I’m doing. I know that I would be too weak to not do that, I would want to know if he ever thought of me.
I also see myself in the position of just taking for granted what I presume to be the problem instead of just asking. When she finds out at the end of the book that Adam just wanted a different life, while she is thinking that he wanted a life without her, I cried. I found myself thinking “You’ve DONE that, you’ve made assumpitions about what was NOT SAID instead of just asking.” I wonder if that comes from thinking that you think you know better or that (as in my case..and I’m ashamed of this ) that you don’t want to be wrong.
and though I wouldn’t take up cooking if my life fell apart, I do see myself getting lost in something that  could help me get over it. The new ring, the new boyfriend, the sex….I saw so much of myself in her reactions to the loss of this one person that she truly loves. I like to lose myself in something else, master it, make myself  “better” so that if that person comes back they can see that I made strides to ‘right” it to make amends.
you know I also saw some parts of myself in Penelope. I know that Penny is a little girl, but I found her so full of sunshine, like a calming force, and I think that for people in my life, I am that for them. The harbor in a storm, with a childlike quality of thinking that things will just be ok. Unconditionally loving people. I like this part of myself and I saw the twinkle of it in Penelope.
  • If you have to take up a hobby after a life changing event, what would it be? Have you ever wanted to just try something new?
Oh the options right??? What would I do? Who could I be? It’s like a free pass to your daydreams
I will tell you that I know that my daydreams include things like Law School or finishing a Master’s in Psychology. I love the way people think, I love talking to them, I love helping  them so these roads would be able to put me a path to do that as a career. Money aside, Law School has been a dream of mine for a long time.
yet, if I am being honest, I have been through life changing events in the last few years. The infertility was bad for 4 years, and then it was the IVF, the twin pregnancy filled with all kinds of complications including bed rest at 24 weeks, and then the parenting of twins.
My LIFE has changed, my marriage has changed, my mind has been changed about the “way this was suppossed to work” (Marriage, starting a family) and I finally coming out from the ramifications of all of it.
Even the diagnosis of my complex migraines and then the fibromyalgia in the year after the boys were born was life changing….
and so it was recently that I have decided to “Try something new”.
I’m writing, I’m using this blog to connect to other women, I am reaching out and asking for things…I had it redesigned, I am working on promoting it, I am thinking all the time about what to write, how to write it.

The mere exercise of being able to roll the words around in my brain and shift them around on the paper (monitor) has been like therapy for me , much like Rachel’s blog and her time in the kitchen. There are times I fall like a souffle and other times that the cake rises perfectly for me. The good and bad, the learning, the writing is making me feel WHOLE again. Like I have something to offer and something to be proud of that’s mine.

but that doesn’t mean that Law School is out of the question. ;)
  • Rachel learned more than one lesson in the course of this novel – which one impressed you most and which one could you relate to most?
It’s both, the lesson that she learned that both impressed me & I related to was the one where she realizes that she isn’t always right. It sounds so awful, that your guy instinct, or the thing that you were convinced of (like when Rachel is sure she knows why Adam left their marriage, how she is so sure of her feelings.
I hate being wrong, I don’t enjoy knowing that what a thought to be a truth is really just my misgivings about myself or the situation. To feel like I was worthy of something and convince myself of it. When she finds out about Adam’s reasons, when she discovers that a talk, a conversation could have stopped the freight train that rolled through her life, I actually put the book down. And wept a little.
“Of course” I thought, you just never asked. I know in my life,
there are so many times I wish I had just asked

And finally, there was the lesson that sometimes nothing gets done until your normal , level life is in upheaval, until the “fire is lit under your ass” and that lesson for her was a favorite of mine too. You don’t follow your dreams when you’re comfortable and not afraid.

Sometimes the fear of the unknown and the place you never thought you’d be is the LIGHT in your life showing you the open door. Gives you the courage to  walk toward and through it. I loved that her upheaval led her to a passion for her life again..for writing, for food, for love/sex, for “living” and then finally back to Adam. ;)

Wait…What????? You still  haven’t read this book yet….

>GO GET IT> I”ll wait. ;)

13 Responses to Life From Scratch Book Tour
  1. Tara
    March 1, 2011 | 12:59 pm

Here from the book tour. Great questions and answers. You got a different set than I did so now I want to go and answer yours. This tour has certainly got me thinking.

2. Lavender Luz
    March 1, 2011 | 1:34 pm

You most certainly do resemble Penelope in the sunshine aspect :-)

"There are times I fall like a souffle and other times that the cake rises perfectly for me." Just wanted to the the writer in you that the writer in me loves this simile/metaphor!

3. Barb
    March 1, 2011 | 1:59 pm

"my mind has been changed about the "way this was suppossed to work" (Marriage, starting a family)" – SO SO true! I've changed SO much through the course of IF and then even after giving birth (with the anxiety etc) to E. Mothering him has taught me way more I think than I'm teaching him. I feel like a better person having gone through (and going through) both experiences… more compassionate, more understanding of my limitations.

And I think you're on to something with that maybe sometimes we have to go through the shit to get the kick in the pants we need. I don't know if Rachel and Adam would ever have healed had they not gone through the rough times.

And hey, I'm from central PA! Beautiful country. :)

4. Baby Smiling In Back Seat
    March 1, 2011 | 9:34 pm

Here from the book tour…

"You don't follow your dreams when you're comfortable and not afraid." Hmm. I keep thinking about this sentence. I actually feel like my husband and I are both always following our dreams. He, especially, doesn't get comfortable but rather he gets antsy to try new things, so even when things are fine he sees what else he might try. (Career-wise, not wife-wise!)

5. Lollipop Goldstein
    March 1, 2011 | 9:50 pm

I love that you bring up Penny — that is so you :-) You see the small stuff; don't always go the obvious route.

Thank you so much for doing this.

6. Kathy
    March 1, 2011 | 11:16 pm

Here from the book tour and so glad to be back for the second time in two days, between this and Perfect Moment Monday yesterday DaisyGal!

I got a different set of questions, so I found reading the questions you chose and your answers especially interesting and thought provoking, since I hadn't seen them or had the chance to consider them before.

I can so relate to what you said about writing being a form a therapy. I have definately found that over the years.

I LOVED the last paragraph about your post! Especially this part:

"Sometimes the fear of the unknown and the place you never thought you'd be is the LIGHT in your life showing you the open door. Gives you the courage to walk toward and through it."

So true. Thank you for sharing! :)

7. Kristin
    March 2, 2011 | 10:43 pm

I love the insight you've offered…both into yourself and the book. It was awesome, wasn't it?

8. April
    March 3, 2011 | 1:19 pm

Here from the book tour!

I have to agree with your answer to question 3. There are so many times in my life where I wish I would have just asked instead of assuming I knew what was going on. Now I've learned that sometimes I need to stand up for me and I need to ask. If I don't ask, I'll never actually learn.

Oh, and law school is a great dream. I hope you make it there.

9. jjiraffe
    March 4, 2011 | 12:45 am

I found myself nodding vehemently during much of this post. I'm so glad I found your blog. We have a lot in common!

I really liked what you had to say about how life has changed after going through infertility and a risky twins pregnancy, and how your mind was changed about " the way this was supposed to work." I totally agree. It's a lot to get your head around.

I'm happy that you have your blog, and that writing makes you feel "whole". That's my goal as well :)

10. loribeth
    March 4, 2011 | 9:41 pm

Loved your answers — they really made me think. I especially loved the comparison between your blogging & Rachel's cooking.

Your thoughts about not simply asking — & always having to be right — really hit home for me, too. I am often guilty on both counts.

11. Kristin
    March 10, 2011 | 11:54 am

12. Baby Smiling In Back Seat
    March 10, 2011 | 11:54 am

Here from the book tour…

13. Barb
    March 10, 2011 | 11:54 am

And hey, I'm from central PA! Beautiful country. :)