PYHO: Remind Me

Every week my dear friend, Shell at Things I Can’t Say
let us Pour Our Hearts Out with one another.
I encourge you to visit her amazing blog and read other pourings.
**************************************************************************
Remind Me

In my life there have been gentle breezes and gale force winds.

I have heard quiet small whispers flowing tendering into my subconscious and huge crashing cymbals, clanging & bursting my eardrums.

Some lessons have come wrapped in brightly colored paper and ribbons and others have arrived in a dirty brown bag tied with twine.

I have been both teacher and student, I have taught and I have been educated.

I find that in my darkest times, where I am sure my glass is half empty  that I am in need of steady shots of gratitude.

So…..

When I tired and grumpy, when I am sure I don’t have the energy to keep going, keep doing.

Remind Me.

Of my beautiful friend who wears a wig now and is fighting a deadly disease with every bit of her heart, body and mind, while raising her gorgeous children.

When I bemoan the struggles of infertility and the heartbreak, depression and unworthiness it offered.

Remind Me.

Of the millions of women that are still waiting for their dream baby, remind me that my body may have let me down many times but it also rebounded and gently carried the little boys who light up any room they are in.

When I lack patience and composure with my sons, lamenting raising two at a time as if it is a chore.

Remind Me.

Of our dear friends who longed for a child and were given the gift of a twin pregnancy only to lose their beloved son weeks before his sister was born, who came home to lay one child in one crib while its companion sits empty.

My children are not a chore, they are my joy.

When I tire of the advice, unsolicited opinions and imagined meddling that I perceive my mom is doing.

Remind Me.

Of how her gait is slowing down, of how much she reminds me of her own mother and I see my future as sure as the shape of our calves and the gentle turn of our toes. Her beautiful spirit shines in every moment her smiles meets her grandson’s, she loves me beyond herself as I love my own children and how I treasure the pure gift of her presence in our lives.

When I miss the powerful love of first meeting my husband, grieving the romance and spark that seems lost in the daily lives we live.

Remind Me.

Of the ugly divorce my sister is enduring, of the years of feeling taken for granted and the hands that touched her in anger instead of affection.

Love given in any form is a precious commodity, savor and reciprocate it.

When I feel alone and am sure no one cares about me at all.

Remind Me.

Of the words, hugs and support I am surrounded by in every moment of my life, the pure friendship and affection that I see in so many places as I journey through this world. I am so lucky to have a tribe that welcomes me in time and time again.

When I belittle myself, my body or my writing, sure I have no good qualities or talent.

Remind Me.

Of all the words that I have given to all of you here, that in the final analysis the only person I need to pour my heart out for is me, that the sparkle in my husband ‘s and children’s eyes as they look at me is all the acceptance and confirmation I value.

For every moment, big or small ,that tears me down, makes me less, chips away at my spirit

Remind Me.

That I am “more” than I can even imagine in every way.

And then my friends, I will Remind You of the same.

49 Responses to PYHO: Remind Me
  1. shellthings
    August 10, 2011 | 10:05 am

This is beautiful. It's so easy to get wrapped up in our small problems and forget that there are always those who have it worse, always moments we should be enjoying.

2. Kir
    August 10, 2011 | 10:32 am

I'm so glad you liked this. Thank goodness for awesome people in my life like you who constantly remind me of how good my life is. xo

3. Aleta
    August 10, 2011 | 10:35 am

What a beautiful post… counting the blessings to help get through the difficult times or times that we might take for granted.

4. Kristin_OPC
    August 10, 2011 | 10:42 am

Thank you so much for this. I really, truly needed this post today. I am copying it and printing it to keep on my desk – to remind ME… Thank you!

5. Liz
    August 10, 2011 | 12:00 pm

This is so wonderful, Kir! You are so right, too; we really do need to stop and take stop in all the good things. So many of us are very, very lucky.

6. Angela
    August 10, 2011 | 12:16 pm

Oh my friend, I will remind you of those things, but I will also remind you of the times that YOU have offered sunshine and hope in the face of others' tears, of the words you give like a gift to your readers, the virtual hugs that will hopefully materialize into real-life ones someday.

Maybe we all need to be more grateful, but don't overlook the gorgeous presence you are in the lives you touch.

7. MEL
    August 10, 2011 | 12:39 pm

Amazing and moving post.  Perspective is always important, and the key is remembering it when we get bogged down with everyday life. Great job.

8. Kir
    August 10, 2011 | 2:13 pm

thank you Mel, I am so glad you liked it.

9. Abby
    August 10, 2011 | 2:14 pm

At the risk of sounding less than eloquent, holy freaking crap, woman. This was a beautiful, melodic and poignant post and something everyone should read. While our troubles are in no way diminished by the struggles of others–we all fight our own battles every day–perspective is so important and such a supportive tool.

The petty annoyances need not steal away the light from the little things that shine through every day. Beautiful post, and although you know this, I will remind you that you are so talented.

10. Kir
    August 10, 2011 | 2:14 pm

Oh you made me cry. I hate when you do that. If I do that for anyone , even ONE person, my heart is full.
    I am reminded each and every day what a GIFT your friendship is in my life and I'm so thankful for it. I never FORGET That. xo

11. Kir
    August 10, 2011 | 2:15 pm

we sure are and I'm so glad that this spoke to you enough to know that . Love u girl!

12. Kir
    August 10, 2011 | 2:16 pm

WOW, I am blown away by that. I am so glad it was there when you needed it. Truly. I am always here too. for you.

13. Kir
    August 10, 2011 | 2:16 pm

thank you so much, it's comments like this that remind me too.
    So thank you for that.

14. Random Blogette
    August 10, 2011 | 2:20 pm

This is so beautiful! I was recently "reminded" of some things with my kids being out of town this week.  Sometimes we all need to take a step back and be grateful for what we have because there is always someone out there wishing that they could have something that we take for granted.

15. Kir
    August 10, 2011 | 2:31 pm

oh I love that it really spoke to you, made you remember. I'm so glad you're part of my world. :)

16. Kir
    August 10, 2011 | 2:34 pm

Oh c'mon. Seriously, you're going to make me cry and honestly if you mess up my mascara, I'm going to "FIND YOU"

I'm just glad it's speaking to so many people….that what I was trying to remind myself was something others could relate to. that's the real gift.
    *you made my day with this comment you know*

17. Christine Siracusa
    August 10, 2011 | 2:59 pm

oh my goodness yes. i always feel so guilty about needing these reminders…but i think it is not human nature to walk around being consciously grateful all the time. The reminders are so good…

18. Mrs. Jen B
    August 10, 2011 | 3:38 pm

Honestly, I've had something like this on my heart for days.  Don't know if you're familiar with her or have heard about this, but Jennifer Perillo (a food blogger) lost her husband to a heart attack suddenly on Sunday.  It's so, so sad.

I read that Monday morning and just cried and cried.  I can't imagine waking up one morning with Rob next to me, going about my day, and then not having him with me by bedtime that same evening.  And I thought about how many petty, stupid, insignificant things get on my nerves from time to time, about how complaining about him "being a man" (ex. the inability to notice when things need to be done, like vacuuming) becomes a habit if left unchecked.  I have to admit, at least one negative thought goes through my head every single day.  It's all so stupid.

I know that if I were in this lady's shoes, I'd vacuum up after Rob every single day for a hundred years, if he'd just be with me again.

I think we all need reminders from time to time.

19. Mama Wants This
    August 10, 2011 | 4:07 pm

Kir that was beautiful and a wonderful reminder to be grateful for what we have, instead of bemoaning what we don't. You're a wonderful friend, I'll be happy to remind you any day :)

20. Eatlivelaughshop
    August 10, 2011 | 6:29 pm

Wow – what an amazing post!  Eloquent, well-written and incredibly poignant.

Thank you for the reminder!!

21. Jessica
    August 10, 2011 | 6:49 pm

You brought tears to my eyes with this post which is something that is VERY hard to do. We all need to be reminded of things sometimes. Thank you.

22. Elena Sonnino
    August 10, 2011 | 8:54 pm

I have no words other than to tell you that I have re-read this at least four times today, each time bringing me to tears. I love you so!

23. MomTriedIt
    August 10, 2011 | 9:16 pm

I will remind you.  You are such a supportive friend and I would be honored to support you in return.  Big hugs your way, Sweetie!

24. MamaRobinJ
    August 10, 2011 | 9:49 pm

This is outstanding. So open and honest. We all struggle with things and want to remember to be grateful for them. And of course we'll be annoyed or frustrated with them again, but having reminders is important too.

25. Kir
    August 11, 2011 | 9:20 am

so glad you liked it. Really, it made my day.

26. Kir
    August 11, 2011 | 9:21 am

I read your comment last night and had to look again, because I couldn't believe it. Thank you for telling me that, while I do not want to make anyone cry, I know this touched a lot of people and that makes me happy.

27. Kir
    August 11, 2011 | 9:21 am

This comment is ALL the reminder I need. For sure. xo

28. Kir
    August 11, 2011 | 9:23 am

I didn't know Jennifer, but my heart is breaking for her's. My greatest fear is being a young widow and to have it happen so quickly and without warning would kill me, literally, I think.
    I needed the reminder lately, and so writing it out was one way to do that and share it too.

29. Kir
    August 11, 2011 | 9:24 am

HI you!! You're right, we all need that little nudge once in a while. I'm glad mine were helpful to others today too. xo

30. Kir
    August 11, 2011 | 9:53 am

well a comment like this, is Just enough. Thank you so much my sweet friend. xo

31. Kir
    August 11, 2011 | 9:54 am

while I don't want you crying, I am so happy it touched you. Truly. Love you MORE!

32. Kir
    August 11, 2011 | 9:54 am

thank you so much for that, I can't believe the people this touched but that is my joy in writing this. Truly. Thank you.

33. Kir
    August 11, 2011 | 9:55 am

I believe that you and I will always be grateful for the husbands we have, even when they try to drive us crazy. Thank you for the reminder you just offerered. me. XO

34. Morgan B.
    August 11, 2011 | 11:13 am

This was just lovely. Thank you for sharing!

35. Tina @ Life Without Pink
    August 11, 2011 | 7:20 pm

This was so powerful…thank you for being so open and for the reminder :)

36. Cheryl Dooley
    August 16, 2011 | 4:10 pm

Beautiful post and great to meet you.  I'll follow. Came via Lovelinks #19 (I'm the kangaroo blog).

37. mom2kiddos
    August 16, 2011 | 9:30 pm

Beautiful post! I'm feeling very grateful for what I have now. Thanks for the reminder!

38. Greta @gfunkified
    August 16, 2011 | 10:12 pm

I can't say anything that hasn't already been said here, so I'll reiterate: this is a much-needed reminder for all of us, so thank you.

39. Kate Fineske
    August 17, 2011 | 7:07 am

Such a great post! We all need to remind ourselves of what we have… yet sometimes the optimism is so hard to find within ourselves. And support is key in my book… finding a friend, a family member, my husband – just SOMEONE who will bare with me as I work through a grumping/sad moment is so important. Because worse than dealing with a bad day, is feeling like your dealing with a bad day alone. So glad to have found this post via lovelinks!

40. Kid Id
    August 17, 2011 | 7:41 pm

Few people have the ability of perspective – to be able to recognize what they have and truly appreciate it.

41. Kir
    August 18, 2011 | 6:59 pm

thank you so much for coming over to read this and tell m that. It means so much to me.

42. Kir
    August 18, 2011 | 7:01 pm

Kate, you are so right, one of the reasons I wrote this was to REMIND MYSELF about what a bad day really looks like, what I have within myself to make better for other people.
    You are never alone, you come back anytime you want. Thank you so much for coming over.

43. Kir
    August 18, 2011 | 7:01 pm

Hi , I loved your link. Thank you for coming over. I'm so glad you did. So nice to meet you too.

44. Kir
    August 18, 2011 | 7:01 pm

thank you so much for those words, they mean so much to me.

45. Kir
    August 18, 2011 | 7:02 pm

THANK YOU for reading it. Really. Thank ou for taking time out and coming over. I loved your link too.

46. Kir
    August 18, 2011 | 7:03 pm

Oh thank you Morgan, I always love when you visit.:)

47. Kir
    August 18, 2011 | 7:03 pm

Hi Tina, thanks for coming over and reading it. It means a lot to me.

48. Renee Schuls-Jacobson
    December 14, 2011 | 3:55 pm

I’m here via @ksluiter.

She’s right.

This is perfect.

I’ve seen you at Write On Edge.

I’ve been here before.

You are all that.

And my son is an old soul too. From the moment, he was born, we knew.

December 14, 2011 | 6:29 pm

HI and thank you so much for coming over…it made my day. I’m so glad your son is an Old Soul too…it’s a nice personality to have..:)