Gathering Buttercups: Two Decades & A Diamond.

Lance struck the match and a flame burst from the red tip.

He held it over the wicks of the blue tapers until the living room was bathed in a romantic, dreamy glow of light.  Pleased with the aesthetic and completely lost in the anticipation of Kate’s smile twinkling like the lights of the Christmas tree in the corner, he almost didn’t hear his phone ring.

Clumsily juggling the hot match while trying to swipe the call to life, he dropped the small red velvet box he’d been holding and it popped open.

“Hey Char.” He said as the cushion cut stone sparkled like the diamond it was, winking at him from the coffee table.

“Almost ready?” Charlotte  whispered.

“Yep.” Lance smiled, “do you think she knows?”

“Nope. She thinks you’re going to a movie.” Charlotte laughed. “You know what’s sad? She really wants to see Lincoln.”

He laughed with her. “Well I hope this doesn’t disappoint.”

Charlotte got quiet, “You know the day you married Beth was one of the saddest of her life. She counted the minutes until Midnight just to get through it. I hate to say it but I think she’s been holding her breath ever since waiting for you.”

“Well I’m hoping this ring takes her breath away.”

“You know if you hurt her again, I’m going to hurt you?”

Lance snorted, “You scare me a little Charlotte.”

“Good.” She answered.

It was Lance’s turn to get quiet, “Char, It’s been almost 20 years, but I love her. I swear I’ve been holding my own breath waiting for this moment.  I thought I was doing the right thing but I was wrong. I wasted so much time.”

“She never stopped loving you Lance.”

“So you think she’ll say yes?” he asked.

“I think we’ll have to scrape her off the ceiling.”

Lance suddenly just wanted Katie in his arms, “Well then Char, please bring me my girl.”

Trifecta gave us the word Anticipation

a : visualization of a future event or state
b : an object or form that anticipates a later type

and I missed WOE last week, but one of the prompts was Candles.

28 Responses to Gathering Buttercups: Two Decades & A Diamond.
  1. Jennifer
    December 10, 2012 | 4:17 pm

SQUEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!

December 11, 2012 | 9:07 am

Yes!!!!! the reaction I wanted from YOU.
      :) :) :) :)

2. Tara R.
    December 10, 2012 | 5:25 pm

A lovely, romantic evening. Sounds perfect. (I’d be a little scare of Charlotte too.)

December 11, 2012 | 9:06 am

Charlotte should not be messed with. #justsayin ;)

let’s hope the rest of the evening goes as smoothly ….???????

3. kgwaite
    December 10, 2012 | 6:02 pm

I really like the visual of swipe the call to life and I love the current usage of going to see Lincoln.

December 11, 2012 | 9:05 am

Hi
      well thank you…I appreciate that and hope you liked the story. I appreciate you taking the time to come over and read it. :)

4. JannaTWrites
    December 10, 2012 | 11:35 pm

I’d love to go see Lincoln, too :)

I like the part where he juggles the phone and match – I could see that happening. I hope he doesn’t break her heart again. But if he does, I’d like a front-row seat when Charlotte gets a hold of him!

December 11, 2012 | 8:58 am

LOL.
      I wonder if she’s going to rather go to that movie? ;)

thanks for liking that part, I wrote it for about 15 minutes trying to make it “right” because that is what happens…right?

and Charlotte is not kidding, he does THAT again, he’s toast! ;)

5. Jennifer
    December 11, 2012 | 12:02 pm

Would it were that everyone could get happy endings like this one! I too liked the show of nerves, he does after all deserve to be nervous after all that’s gone on between them.

December 14, 2012 | 10:10 am

yes..he should be nervous, but not about her saying YES. He just better be good to her. (Insert 80′s Tina Turner songs)

thanks for coming over to read. You know it means a lot to me.

6. Sandra
    December 11, 2012 | 2:28 pm

I want to see how this continues!! Lovely story! Happy and romantic just the way I like them :) Great piece.

December 14, 2012 | 10:11 am

oh it is ongoing..there is a tab at the top of my blog called GATHERING BUTTERCUPS and it tells the whole story.
      thank you for coming over to read it, that means a lot to me.

7. t
    December 11, 2012 | 3:23 pm

This is me, just sitting over here smiling over what a delightful read this was, Kir =)

December 14, 2012 | 10:11 am

this is me…sitting here, all teary eyed, just glad I know you t. :)

8. Annabelle
    December 11, 2012 | 3:56 pm

Aww. That’s so sweet — although I admit for a moment there I was afraid he was going to set the house on fire when he was juggling the match and the phone!

December 14, 2012 | 10:07 am

no way, not in my stories…I don’t burn things down…yet. ;)
      so glad you came over to read it. Thank you. :)

9. KymmInBarcelona
    December 12, 2012 | 6:50 am

The “juggling” sentence is so perfectly constructed! Much smoothly transmitted information.

December 14, 2012 | 10:03 am

wow, you think I constructed something…MY WHOLE week is made. (No, Really.)
      thank you so much. For just coming over to read it and taking the time to comment. I appreciate that so much.

10. Tina
    December 12, 2012 | 11:12 am

Awwwww! So sweet and romantic! I love happy endings!

December 14, 2012 | 9:50 am

me too..I love writing the happy endings this time of the year.
      “The world really doesn’t have enough Silly Love Songs.” ;)

hope you have a great weekend.

11. Carrie
    December 12, 2012 | 12:19 pm

*sniff* Oh, that is just so beautiful :)

December 14, 2012 | 9:49 am

I like giving someone a happy ending…don’t you? (Of course you do!!!)

12. Draug
    December 12, 2012 | 11:18 pm

TOO adorable <3 This is really sweet.

December 14, 2012 | 9:47 am

well thank you!!!!! I like writing the HAPPY this time of year.

13. lumdog
    December 13, 2012 | 9:52 am

This is a lovely, romantic story. And I love the visual with the candles and his imagining Kate’s twinkling eyes. What if she’s pissed about not seeing Lincoln? ;)
    Great movie btw and great response to the prompt.

December 14, 2012 | 9:43 am

HI Lumdog..
      Hee. I think that the diamond will make her happy. I can almost gurantee that she’ll get to see LINCOLN eventually.
      (and yes, we saw Lincoln and I adored it, can’t stop talking about it)

so nice to see you here. I know I’ve been MIA, and I apologize for that.

14. Cameron
    December 13, 2012 | 7:55 pm

Charlotte is my favorite in this series. I just love her. Like I want her to take me to the mall and be my bestie love her.

December 14, 2012 | 9:38 am

A lot of people really like Charlotte..she’s a momma bear. The Real Charlotte (Lisa) is a great bestie, she will go to the mall and make you laugh and keep you sane, I can promise you that.
      and I will share her, because she’s just that AWESOME. ;)